Sunday, September 7, 2008

First Sukkah Panel!

Weese brought her Sukkah panel with her from Austin, and I'm almost moved to tears by the thought, care, beauty she put onto that white sheet. There are two women - almost life-sized- dancing in the desert. They are Weese and I in our younger years, one dark-haired, one blond. Their clothes are loosely appliqued in gorgeous, luminous sea-green fabric for me and diaphanous black with deep purple flowers for her. Her bare toes peek out from under her gown. This woman has always gone barefoot. At the bottom, she inscribed in beautiful Hebrew: Melek Ha'Olam Eloheinu.
Weese and I have been friends since the 70ies, and I give her total credit for maintaining our friendship. She is one of the most loving, nurturing, forgiving, non-judgemental, surviving lovers of life I have ever known. She has just decided at age 50 to become a nurse. I could kiss those toes.

3 comments:

Cynthia Samuels said...

It sounds beautiful.
I'm mortified to tell you this but my total awareness of Sukkot right now is anxiety until I get the social stuff worked out. It always works out but organizing it? Oy.

kittysmith said...

I heard THAT. My worst fear is that it will rain and guests will actually have to come inside ! Oy is right.

Anonymous said...

take a picture!!!!! or better yet... i should take a picture!!!!