Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Sukkah Cometh

I bought (16) pine 2 x 2 x 8s and a bag full of 3.5 "long bolts with washers and nuts for the sukkah frame and assembled a practice side today while I was waiting for a load of laundry to dry. I wanted to make sure that my loosey-goosey design was actually going to work, so no one will find me sitting in the front yard the evening of October 13th, wrapped in a gaily decorated sukkah panel, pinned under the fallen frame and sobbing with my thumb in my mouth.
Oh, I've built things before, yes...yes, I have. Not that anything I've ever built is remotely plumb - somewhere from the great beyond, my master carpenter father is trying to grab the hammer away from me and show me how to fix that SOB!- whether it's the huge arty shelves in the living room, to the precarious but wonderful screened-in cattery tacked onto the back of the house where our cats go to sun themselves, commune with birds and squirrels and eat grass ( that is thrown back up promptly inside the house; that's just how they roll). I throw myself into these projects with bold abandon and a vague plan. From then on, all bets are off.
Stop the presses! More sheets have landed. My sister's came in, and yes, it has Palm trees (see my previous post), a Magen David and "that thing Jews put next to their doors." It's really very sweet and much appreciated. One of my nieces sent one drawn mainly by my 8 year old great-nephew. It's replete with stick-figure prophets and grapes. I love it. They evacuated from the Beaumont/Port Arthur-home-of-Janis-Joplin area during Ike and still made time to finish the sheet. My son & daughter-in-law worked on their contribution during Ike. Two cats with swishing tails watch a silhouette of a woman inside a brightly-lit sukkah while a Cardinal settles into her nest (see my Post-Ike post) high above in a tree. Touching, personal and beautiful. It's beginning to look a lot like Sukkot!

2 comments:

bec said...

that sounds sooooo cool! and might i add how impressed i am that you're building this from scratch. we just have to put the right poles in the right places. probably a good thing, otherwise sukkos would never be celebrated by us! i hope that you'll be able to post pictures of the finished product. it sounds amazing! happy pre-sukkos and have an easy fast.

Tikkunknitter said...

Mazel tov on your evolving sukkah! We lived with our "casbah sukkah" for a decade or so, until last year's folk art transformation.
You might consider treating your specially decorated sukkah panels with Scotchguard to preserve those precious drawings (and keep them out of sunlight as much as possible).
Chag sameach!