Wednesday, October 1, 2008

My Sister, Lucy Van Pelt

I didn't think that anything scared my sister, who I've always seen as a combination of a tough-talking, two-fisted old broad (and no, she doesn't read this blog or I wouldn't still be living and breathing to post another day) and a force of nature that had to be tracked - like a hurricane - if she was headed for Texas. During some Jungian workshop thrown by a friend of mine years ago, we had to pick from hundreds of picture cards ones that represented members of our family and arrange them in order of importance. The person of power for good or bad was placed in the center. Guess who was in the Center Square to Block as the Wicked Witch of the West...and... guess who got to be Dorothy?
But, oh, how the mighty have fallen. I have found her Achilles heel. She called me last week in a near panic because I asked her "TO DO SOMETHING CREATIVE!" Days passed and an e-mail announced that the upcoming weekend was "Sukkah sheet weekend!" I told her to calm down, not over-think it, that she could just draw a Palm tree and sign her name to it, and I'd be perfectly happy. Over the weekend another phone call: she found a video on YouTube with instructions on drawing a Palm Tree, but needed to buy a yard stick and she couldn't figure out where to spread the sheet out to draw on it and she's not creative and she can't believe that I'm asking her to be creative and...

Payback is sweet.

No comments: